Words by Hal Keelin
Perfect for a rainy day and a cup of tea, this apple cake is a perfect combination of flavours. Its light, its sweet and best of all its prepped and cooked well within two hours. It’s the perfect way to spend a weekend afternoon.
What do you need ?
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g self -raising flour
- 225g Butter(unfridged)
- 3 eggs
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1 Lemon for juice and zest
- 450 g Cooking apples
- 25g ground almonds (optional)
- 1tsp demerara sugar
- 200g clotted cream – to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven 180 C/ fan oven 160 C
- Grease cake tin and line with baking sheet
- Peel cut and core apples and then cut up into small pieces (1cm)
- Squeeze lemon over the apples and set aside in bowel
- In separate bowel Cream together sugar Caster sugar and grate lemon over the top, do this until mixture is pale and fluffy
- Beat the eggs into the above one at a time, sieve a bit of the flour in for each egg, stir and keep mixture smoothSift in the baking powder and add the ground almonds
- Drain apples well -make sure its not watery- then add to the mixture and stir
- Add to the prepared cake tin and sprinkle demerara sugar on top
- Bake in oven for 1 hour, check its all cooked with a skewer, and leave to cool for 10 mins.
- Serve with clotted cream, put the kettle on and enjoy!