Moussaka is a Greek dish with great flavours and can be easily adapted for vegetarians as well! It’s easy to make and will give you four servings rather than just one, saving you money whilst still eating well!
Prep time: 2 hours (approx)
– 1 large onion, finely chopped
– 2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
– 500g lamb mince (lentils can be used for vegetarian option)
– 1 glass red wine
– 2tbsp tomato puree
– 400g can chopped tomatoes
– 2tsp cinnamon
– 2tbsp oregano
– 1-2 large aubergines, chopped
For the cheese sauce:
– 75g butter
– 75g plain flour
– 600ml milk
– 50g parmesan or cheddar
– pinch of nutmeg
1. Sprinkle the chopped aubergines with salt and place in a dish to sweat.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add onions and garlic. Once cooked through, add the mince to brown for 3-4 minutes.
3. Once browned, add the tomato puree, tomatoes, cinnamon and oregano and leave to simmer gently for 30-40 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan and add the flour and cook for about 1 minute. Slowly add the milk in stages, and stir until the sauce begins to thicken.
5. Simmer gently for about 10 minutes and continuously stirring, then stir in the cheese and nutmeg. Season to taste.
6. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
7. In a separate pan heat olive oil and fry off the aubergines.
8. Once aubergines are cooked, in an oven proof dish layer the aubergines, mince, aubergines and finally cheese sauce on top. Add a layer of grated cheese as well if you like!
9. Cook in the oven for around 30 minutes, or until topping is golden.
10. Serve hot and enjoy!