Words By Bryony Rule
Aubergine provides the perfect, hearty vegetarian base to absorb the warming umami flavours in this dish. The easy to make marinade is sticky, sweet and savoury, and pairs perfectly with stir fried noodles and vegetables.
What you will need:
2 small aubergines Pinch sea salt Thumb sized piece of ginger 50g miso paste 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey 2 servings of soba noodles 100g kale or green leafy veg of choice 1 carrot Head of broccoli Zest and juice of 1 lime Sesame seeds Bunch of spring onions
- Cut the aubergines in half lengthways. Using a sharp knife, score the flesh of each half in a diagonal criss-cross pattern. Place the aubergines on a lined baking tray, cut side up. Sprinkle the sea salt over them, before leaving for 15 minutes, to allow the salt to withdraw some of their moisture. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze. Peel and finely grate half of the ginger into a bowl, along with the miso paste and maple syrup, whisking together with a fork.
- After 15 minutes, rub each half of aubergine with a little oil. Place them into the oven for 20 minutes, until they are softened.
- Cook the noodles according to packet instructions and set aside.
- Prepare your vegetables. Chop the broccoli into small florets, shred your greens, and using a vegetable peeler, make carrot ribbons.
- Once the aubergines are softened, remove them from the oven. Using the back of a spoon, spread the miso glaze generously over each half. Place them back into the oven for around 15 minutes.
- Warm some oil in a wok or frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add your vegetables, along with the remaining grated ginger, stir frying for 5 minutes until they are softened but retain some bite.
- Add the noodles, lime zest and juice to the pan, with a pinch of salt. Toss everything together.
- Remove the aubergines from the oven. They should be charred, soft and sticky. Serve on top of the noodles, with a sprinkling of sesame seeds and sliced spring onions.