To celebrate National Badger Day here are 10 fun facts about our animal kingdom namesake
- Badgers can run up to 16-19 miles per hour which is the average speed of electric mobility scooters.
- Eating rotten fruit causes Badgers to get drunk.
- The Welsh word for Badger is ‘moch deaer’ which translates as ‘earth pig’.
- They normally live between 4-10 years but have been known to live up to 26 years when in captivity.
- They can weigh up to 40 pounds which is about the same weight as 120 medium sized bananas or an average human leg.
- Badgers form clans, called cetes, of about 2-15 Badgers.
- Badgers refuse to defecate in their setts, series of underground tunnels, and instead create a shallow pit on the edge of their territory for lavatory business.
- Badgers were eaten in WWII Britain and surprisingly are still eaten in Russia to this day.
- Around 50,000 get killed by cars each year.
- In 2018, Apple added the Badger emoji in their IOS 12 update.
Photo Credit: Andy Bellard